The Education Apprentice works alongside professional teaching artists and administrators, gaining experience in lesson planning, classroom management, and pedagogy through observation of and collaboration with professional educators, and building understanding through a holistic approach to theatre education, including material prep, marketing, and administration.
The Education Apprentice plays a vital role in Compass Creative Dramatics programming, acting as both an assistant educator during CCD-hosted throughout the summer season.
Duties and responsibilities may include:
- May be related to any CCD-related programming: residencies, camps, workshops, or partner programs (i.e. Chicago Park District classes)
- Assistant directing a 60-minute musical
- Assistant teaching classes and workshops
- Lead teaching selected classes and workshops
- Planning and implementing extended childcare program
- 9 total week-long programs total (3 weeks commute + 6 weeks travel)
- Of the total week-long programs, the Education Apprentice generally functions as an assistant camp educator for 7-8 weeks
- Housing is provided for travel programming
Program Preparation and Execution
- Camp-specific preparation, including registrations, communication, physical materials, etc.
- Assist senior staff with program/curriculum development and lesson planning
- Interacting with families via email, phone, mailer, and in-person communication, including front-of-house duties
- Creation and upkeep of educational resources via photo, video, and written document archives
- Research curriculum standards (i.e. Common Core) and cross-apply to CCD programming
- General program prep related to registration, communication, materials prep, etc.
- General administrative duties related to marketing, communications, office errands, etc.
Shared Ensemble Responsibilities:
- Care and upkeep of CCD space and equipment, including cleaning, organization, inventory, purchasing, maintenance, and transportation
- Vehicle maintenance and administration
- Large marketing projects, including written postcards, physical distributions, etc.
- Special event and meeting participation
Contract dates run May 1, 2018 – September 8, 2018. During the 6 travel weeks, which will take place Mid June - early August, full availability is required Sunday – Sunday.
Training sessions will be scheduled during daytimes, evenings, and weekends from May 1, 2018 – June 3, 2018. Open availability is ideal during this time frame. Special consideration for training period may be possible for candidates who are enrolled in school during the month of May.
Compass Creative Dramatics partners with school and community organizations to offer quirky, engaging theatre programming designed to provide arts enrichment and cultivate personal growth and character. We strive to provide these organizations an opportunity to enhance their current theatre education and life skills training as well as provide arts programming within schools and organizations with limited arts resources.
Compass Creative Dramatics is looking for 2 Education Interns to join our team for our upcoming summer season. Education interns will work alongside professional teaching artists through observation and assistantship. Interns will gain experience with curriculum development, lesson planning, and teaching children aged 3-18 through collaboration with professional educators.
This Education Apprentice position will be allotted a stipend of $2150 for the contract running May 1, 2018 – September 8, 2018.
No extension applies to this agreement; however, past interns and past apprentices in the have stayed on or returned to CCD when other positions become available in administration or education.